Root for Micromax Canvas HD (A116), inclusive of CWM recovery
It’s been ages since I posted here, but I think this post will be worth it 🙂
What we are going to achieve with this:
- Update your Canvas HD to the latest *official* ROM, which includes a fix for the Flipboard issue, and the G Sensor issue.
- Replace stock recovery by Clockworkmod Recovery. This will make installing future ROMs very easy, and can flash all update zips.
- Root your phone. If you don’t know what this is, you probably shouldn’t be reading this 😛
Disclaimer: I claim NO responsibility to what happens to your phone by doing this. You and you alone are responsible for the consequences.
Okay, now that we’ve got that out of the way, lets get started! Here are the simple steps that will let you root your phone 😀
- Download this zip and extract it somewhere: A116 Tools Zip Mirror: A116 Tools Zip
- Go to the “Driver” folder, and install the driver.
- Go to the “Root” folder, and copy “UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.10” to the internal SDcard of the phone.
- Go to the “Flash Tool” folder, and open “Flash_tool.exe”.
- Click the “Scatter-loading” button, and select “MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt” file inside the ROM folder.
- Now shut down your phone, and remove battery (yes, removing battery is important). Then put the battery back inside, and DO NOT switch on the phone.
- Press the “Download” button on the Flash tool (the button next to the “Firmware -> Upgrade” button).
- Now connect your turned off phone to the PC via the USB cable. The flash tool should find your phone, and start updating the firmware (you will see a yellow progress bar on the Flash tool). In case the Flash tool doesn’t find your phone, disconnect phone, remove battery, insert battery again, and connect to PC again. Remember, DO NOT DISCONNECT THE PHONE, OR CANCEL THE FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON A UPS, AND THAT THERE WILL BE NO POWER INTERRUPTION.
- Once the download is complete, you will get a green circle on the flash tool.
- Now, disconnect your phone from the PC, and remove battery again. Now insert battery again, and press VOL UP, VOL DOWN, and POWER button together, and keep them pressed till the phone starts. Press VOL UP again, as mentioned on the screen, to go into the recovery.
- Once in the recovery, select “Install zip from SDcard” and browse to the “UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.10” that you copied to your phone in step 3, and select it. Once that is flashed, select reboot.
- That’s it! Once the phone boots, you should be on the latest official firmware, and have the “Super SU” icon in your app drawer.
Hope this posts helps other folks who have the Canvas HD and are desperate to root it! Let me know your experience in the comments 🙂
P.S: The credit for porting the clockworkmod recovery to this phone goes to kumar abhishek from the XDA forum! His thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2167621. Please be sure to go there and thank him!
P.P.S: In case you need to go back to the stock ROM for some reason (warranty?), you can download the stock ROM here and flash it using the same method as described above.
It’s been ages since I posted here, but I think this post will be worth it 🙂 What we are going to achieve with this: Update your Canvas HD to the latest *official* ROM, which includes a fix for the Flipboard issue, and the G Sensor issue. Replace stock recovery by Clockworkmod Recovery. This will…